Weekly Update (Week ending 24.5.19)
This week in maths we have been investigating capacity and ordering things from empty to full. We’ve talked about half empty, nearly empty, half full and nearly full. We have also weighed objects using non-standard measure (cubes) and have predicted which things we think will be heavier or lighter.
We have started a new topic of ‘minibeasts’. The children have enjoyed hunting for different minibeasts in the grounds and some children have been up to the pond to investigate further. They have researched information and made their own minibeast books. Some children have also made a start on their minibeast sock puppets – there has been a huge amount of wonderful creativity from the children.
In phonics we have been revising irregular words (e.g. like, have, come, do) and looking again at blending words with a single vowel (e.g. crept, swift, bench, split, drench). Please continue to support your child to both read and spell these words at home.
After half term…
We will be continuing our minibeast topic and doing some pond dipping. We are hoping to have some tadpoles so that we can watch them grow and turn into frogs.
In maths we will be looking at time and money. Make sure your children are exposed to real money and maybe they can start counting or adding coins. We will start to talk about analogue clocks; hours, minutes, seconds, night and day. Talk to your children about the order of their day using vocabulary like ‘before lunch, after dinner, before bedtime.’
We will be moving onto the next phase of our phonics programme which includes single phonemes (sounds) with two or three letters (e.g. ‘s’ written with a zh, ‘w’ written with a wh and ‘f’ written with a ph).
Supporting Your Child at Home
- Try to use language of time and see if the children can start to understand how long a minute/hour/day is
- Let the children play with money, count coins and maybe even add up to pay for something small
- Please keep up reading with and to your child during half term
- Look out for the sounds we have been revising in books you are reading at home. Encourage your child to practise writing words that contain these sounds
- Support your child to access the Active Learn website to read some of the ebooks and play the phonics games that have been allocated (these are intended to be a supplement to the home readers in your child's school bag. The children do not have to complete all the ebooks and games that have been allocated but can use them for additional practice)
- Any PE bags should be returned on the first day back – don’t forget socks for girls that may be in tights during the normal school day
- Lunch menus also need to be returned on the first day back
- Remember the children can visit the library on Fridays to choose a new book - as long as they’ve brought back their book from the previous week
- With any luck the warm weather will continue so please ensure your child has had sun cream applied, has a sun hat for outside and brings in a water bottle
Home reading books are changed on:
- Jumping Jacks - Tuesday
- Leapfrog - Monday
PE is on:
- Jumping Jacks - Tuesday
- Leapfrog - Wednesday
Have a great half term. We hope you manage to enjoy some quality family time together!
Mrs Funnell, Mrs Kent and Mrs Gainfort